Wednesday, April 14, 2010

neither chicks, nor peas...


I would like to say these are amazingly delicious, but I can't.  Lady Crash-ington ate them all in 2 swift gulps before I could have one, single, solitary chickpea.


That's a lie.  I totally ate these.  And they were totally awesome.  Apparently, I am a year behind in the food blogosphere, as these were all the rage back in '09.  I am an embarrassment.

I made these as a snack for Game Night with friends & it was a hit!  Great, nutritious, snack or a welcome topping to soups or salads.  Looking forward to changing up the spice blend as the mood strikes me... and you know how moody I can be.  


I did a variation on this idea by throwing some seasoned chickpeas in a skillet & toasting them, as well.  I think I may prefer that method, but will have to test again.  And again. You know, just to be sure.


Roasted Chickpeas

2tsp cumin
1/4tsp cayenne
1/4tsp chipotle powder
1/2tsp smoked paprika
1/4tsp coriander
1/8tsp allspice
1/4tsp cinnamon
1/8tsp ginger
1/4tsp salt
1 28oz can chickpeas
olive oil

Drain & rinse the chickpeas.  Allow to dry (I drain & rinse before work, and leave in a colander while I'm at work.  Dried by the time I get home!)

Preheat oven to 450.

Combine spices thoroughly.  Line a baking sheet with tin foil & spread chickpeas.  Coat generously with olive oil.  Sprinkle over spice blend & toss.  Bake for ~40 min until crunchy, checking to make sure they don't burn.  Ta Da!  Enjoy fresh out of the oven or cold.  Either way, enjoy them!

1 comment:

  1. i heard about these little nuggets of love! chickpeas are my fave - gonna try tonight!

    ReplyDelete