Thursday, May 19, 2011

shipping crate: best place to hide a dead body*

Lookie what I got!


What is it, you ask?  It is an old shipping crate from the 1940s-1950s.  Look how it opens:


Ain't it cool??


I love that you just needed a road and a town/state to get the shipment.  We figured, (i.e. read and did a quick Google search,) that my grandfather sent this box home from a military post from the Far East, probably Japan, by way of San Francisco.


I wonder what was in it!  Just clothes?  Maybe books and samurai swords (my grandfather was something of an expert & collector)?  Or maybe something more fun, like Asian art!

Anyways, I am excited to have it.  It is a little rough around the edges, (which is a nice way of saying I got freakin' splinters and I am NOT amused,) so it will need a light sanding.  I would love to change the color of it, but don't want to risk ruining the writing/stencil... so, for the time being it will stay this way.  

I also figure, down the line, it would make a great coffee table with tons of storage for blankets or kids' toys... kinda like these:

Factory Cart Coffee Table

Factory Cart Coffee Table

laurennelson2

But for now, I am happy with it being extra storage in the house and without any permanent wheels attached.  I guess this was an easy decision, as we already havecoffee table in each room that needs one... but let's make pretend this was a conscious design decision instead, shall we?  Thanks.  So, here you are; here is where this mammoth shipping crate is chilling for the now.  I do like it as a side table, especially for a guest room that was previously lacking one:



On another note, I apologize for my hiatus.  Its not you, its me.  Obviously... you cant write my blog posts for me.  Though if you could, that would be awesome.  Now accepting personal diction-takers.  Will pay you in food.  Sometimes.  When I feel like it.  I promise I have posts planned!  And pictures ready for uploading!  Promises!!!


*You can't tell me that wouldn't fit a dead body!  Maybe you could still use it to ship.  That way your evidence is sent somewhere far away as you disappear.... Hypothetically speaking.
**UGH!  The problem with sharing other blogs photos is they only put you to shame.  I hope you all enjoyed my shame, you shame-vultures.

7 comments:

  1. That is so cool, a piece with history! And I love how it opens. I also love all the pics you included from different things you can do down the line!

    beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very cool! COme share it with my newbie party, I see you are new. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cool!! I LOVE old stuff like this. I am a new follower. I came by way of the Newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! You could totally fit a body in there. :) I think it works for a night stand though too! Thanks for linking up at the Weekend Warrior.

    Anna
    www.askannamoseley.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great item! I love where you put it next to the newly painted bed!

    Found you via Debbiedoo's and have really enjoyed your blog! I am your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You scared me for a minute with the title of your post! But it's great to know this old shipping crate is functioning as a storage and bedside desk rather than what you mentioned above. ;) This crate would also be useful once you have to move; this would be safest to case your fragile or electronic equipments during the shipment. [Pedro@PackCrateAndShip.com]

    ReplyDelete